General Travel Pointers
- Always check the individual airline sites for the best deals. The cheapest tickets 75% of the time are found directly on airline web sites, especially if your itinerary is flexible
Other 25% of time Expedia, Travelocity or
Orbitz will have a combination of different carrier flights that ends up being cheaper.
- Sign up for individual airline email offers.
- Airport security, customs and government agents have no sense of humor - take all regulations and questions very seriously.
- Before getting in taxi understand how the fare will be determined - meter or set price? Do your research on fares
- Use the discount airlines, with the following caveats:
- verify which airports airline is using - lots of times cheap airlines use outlying airports, often up to 60-70miles
away from city center (i.e. Standstead airport instead of Heathrow/Gatwick etc). Your "cheap" ticket could come
with extra $20-30/each way for the shuttle.
- read fine print about luggage allowance - lots of times there is no check baggage allowance, and you have to pay
$20-50 for each piece checked.
- be aware of booking fees - in some cases they can effectively double the fare
- When renting a car, always take a picture,and fill out the form noting any damage. Even cell phone picture is better than