The top places to see
- Aspen/Maroon Bells
- Rocky Mountain National Park/Longs Peak
- Indian Peaks Wilderness
- Pikes Peak Climb
- Mount Evans Road
- Loveland Pass
- Sand Dunes National Park
Traveling to Colorado
- Denver International Airport: DEN - about 20 miles from Denver downtown, ~40 miles from Boulder
- Alternatives - Colorado Springs(COS) Grand Junction(Aspen(ASE) Telluride (TEX)(Scary airport!)
- Be very aware of altitude here to avoid altitude sickness
- If possible, stay in Denver/Boulder overnight to acclimatize before heading higher
- Denver's altitude is 5200 feet/1600m above sea level
- Aspen is at 7900 feet/2400m above sea level
- Breckenridge altitude is 9600 feet/2900m above sea level
Things to do/attractions
- Anything/everything outdoors
- Skiing - best in the world!
- White water rafting/cayaking
- Road/mountain biking
Places to stay
- Historic Brown Palace Hotel/li>
- JW Marriott Cherry Creek
- St.Julien Hotel
- Days Hotel - simple, recently remodeled, good, quiet location
- Louisville/Superior - if Boulder hotels are full
Entertainment & dinning
- Summer: expect 80-95F (27-35C) daily high that cools off at night to around 65F (18C).
- Winter temperatures hoover around 30F-50F (0-10C), and drop during cold spells down to -20F (-30C).
- Fall and spring can be anything between winter and summer - one day it might 80F and next day could be snowing.
- Due to high altitude, the air is very dry, and consequently temperatures do not feel hot or cold.
- Fierce snowstorms are usually followed by a couple days of pleasant weather.
- The best snow for skiing accumulates starting in January/February, with season lasting into June at Loveland and Arapahoe ski areas
- In high country the snow stays until June/July, for hiking plan on season starting in July, and lasting until September
- During summer mountains have regular daily thunderstorms that develop around 12pm
- Start your mountain adventure early, be off the top by noon to avoid being struck by lightning